First, we write to express our congratulations to you as the nominee for the Democratic/Republican Party. We pray your speeches and debates will address the critical issues we face as a nation.
Second, the Bible commands us to pray for and honor “all who are in authority” (1 Timothy 2:2; 1 Peter 2:17). As spiritual leaders over our flocks in this nation, we commit to you that we will lift you, your family, and your administration in prayer to God. We pray that wisdom and righteousness will be the distinguishing marks of your service.
Third, we want to express some of the core issues we believe are important for the nation and God’s blessings upon us. As members of the National Association of Evangelicals, Pentecostal and Charismatic Churches in North America, and Christian Churches Together, our positions reflect the views of millions of Americans:
- We support the right to life for the unborn. As a church we provide hope, care, and opportunity for women who choose life. We care for the poor. We pray that our government can develop policies that help “the least” (Matthew 25) among us. We believe government and the church should empower the poor to move beyond assistance to stable, productive and sustainable lives.
- We uphold the traditional Christian view of marriage and do not recognize same-sex marriage. The 2015 ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court does not change what God has established. As Christians, we care for people in the LGBT community, but we are opposed to government action that promotes this agenda above the historic religious rights of organizations and people of faith.
- We strongly support the right of the state of Israel to exist. We believe it is in the best interest of the United States to support Israel against the host of enemies who seek its destruction. We pray God will grant you wisdom to address the plight of the Palestinian Christians caught in very difficult circumstances.
- We recognize the need for immigration reform and we pray that God Almighty will give you wisdom to combine protection for our nation with opportunity for immigrants. As a member of the National Association of Evangelicals, we support their position on immigration.
- We recognize the plight of millions of Christians being persecuted around the world and ask you to seek their protection.
Dr. A.D. Beacham, Jr.
International Pentecostal Holiness Church