A ministry that reaches out to the 'overlooked and ignored' as Mt 25 states in the Message Bible. A ministry of hope with the mandate to "Be A Light Not A Mouth" or BALNAM by serving however and wherever possible. The ministry born from the heart and ministries of Christian Heritage Church in Amarillo, TX has expanded to a National Level. The ministry is endorsed and supported by the IPHC (International Pentecostal Holiness Church).
Friday, September 30, 2016
Riding From a Bar to a Church
BIKER SUNDAY 2016
Sunday, September 25, 2016, 9:45 a.m, the sanctuary began to fill, most were wearing their black leather, the stage was lined with motorcycles, the air was electric, this is BIKER SUNDAY. The largest day of the year in attendance and fund raising but it must begin with WORSHIP!
A drawing was made where a 40 caliber semi-automatic pistol (winner, Lana Chandler-Eckiss) and a Harley Davidson Sporster was given away. Kay Maxwell, the winner of the motorcycle, climbed on her new bike and the husband stood beside her with tears running down his cheeks.
Some may say, why start at a bar? Why have bikes in the sanctuary? Why give a motorcycle and gun away? Why go through all this labor and expense?
- Bikes in front of the church is a type of 'dedicating' tools of ministry to the Lord each year.
- Starting at a bar is symbolic of going to the world and living the life of Light, which we trust will 'lead' people to the church.
- Giving items that mean something to the community you are reaching out to, says we care but more importantly, Jesus cares.
- The toys raised will make children and their parents very happy on Christmas Eve as motorcycles deliver the toys, normally valued at $15,000 - $20,000.
- The games fuel the idea that the Christian life can still be full of adventure and challenge, it is not a boring life.
[Editor's Comment: The Mission Statement of Hugh's News is this: The electronic flagship of communications serving IPHC Ministries and the Body of Christ worldwide.
The Scriptural Mission is recorded in Daniel 12:3, "AND THEY THAT BE WISE SHALL SHINE AS THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE FIRMAMENT; AND THEY THAT TURN MANY TO RIGHTEOUSNESS AS THE STARS FOR EVER AND EVER" (DANIEL 12:3, KJV).
Gary Burd is an evangelist and a pastor/teacher. The message of the Gospel never changes, but the methods used are varied and many. Gary has discovered a way to reach the hearts of men and women in the Biker culture and we applaud him. Whenever a Biker is saved, the Bible tells us that Jesus said, "There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent" (Luke 15:7, NIV). Let us rejoice with Gary Burd and the men and women who help him in his mission to win Bikers where they live, work, or hang out. I bless Gary in the Name of Jesus.]